This is the sequel and follow-on from our hugely popular Virtual Tour of 1740’s Scotland. Join us as we take you on a further whirlwind journey to a new set of historic locations around Scotland. Starting in the West Highlands, we’ll transport you across the length of Scotland to the East Coast, taking in several locations en-route. Then we’ll begin the journey south through the Lowlands, ending up in 18th century Edinburgh itself.
Over 20 new locations feature in this Virtual Tour, which include a handful of Outlander-related filming locations. We have chosen locations that we know you’ll love; all of them are steeped in history, which we’ll share with you as take you there.
A few years ago, we invested in our own copy of a very large historic map which documented the whole of Scotland in the mid-18th Century – every town, every road, every property. It’s an incredible resource and we’ll be sharing some of its secrets with you on this tour.
Diane Nicholson will be hosting A Journey through 18th Century Scotland live from our Culloden home. She will show you how each location was documented on our map of 18th century Scotland, and then using a combination of videos and photos, she’ll take you to those places now as she compares current to old. You’ll see how much, or in many cases, how little these places have actually changed over the last 3 centuries…
This Virtual Tour is extremely visual, packed full of Scottish history and includes a visit to:
- Thirteen mightily impressive Castles, some of which are well known and loved, and others that will leave you wanting to visit them. We’ll even take you on a tour through the inside of some of them.
- A spectacular historic seaside town harbour, which will take you back to the 16th century.
- A Chapel dating all the way back to the 13th century with a very special story to tell.
- A Standing Stone, well over a thousand years old, which was so tall and impressive it was documented as an individual entry on the 18th century map.
- And we finish this tour with an 18th century visit to the Royal Mile in Edinburgh, when we take you to several more historic locations. Starting from inside Edinburgh Castle, we move down the Royal Mile and finish up at the Palace of Holyroodhouse.
If you love Scottish castles, Scottish history and historic maps, then this tour is for you.
The tour itself lasts 2 hours and is followed with questions and open discussion with both Andy and Di, so please allow up to 2.5 hours. It is held in a private Zoom meeting which is hosted live.
* Please note this Virtual Tour was created specifically for those who are unable to visit Scotland this year, so booking is only open to those based outside of the United Kingdom, as places are limited.
Our next Journey Through 18th Century Scotland is on:
Sunday 30 May 2021
4.00pm SCOTTISH time
TIME ZONE DIFFERENCE – Please CLICK HERE and type in the city closest to you to check what time this tour will be in your time zone.
PRICE – A Journey Through 18th Century Scotland Virtual Tour is £15, which is approximately $20 USD, $25 CAD, $26 AUD, $28 NZD or €16
BOOK USING THE CALENDAR BELOW. Click on the date that you want (green square, if it is red it is sold out). Then click on the time you want. Then choose the number of places. Then click NEXT.
If you don’t see the calendar beneath the yellow box below, please refresh your screen.
IMPORTANT – Please CLICK HERE to read our Virtual Tour Terms, Conditions and Guidelines before booking your place on the widget below. You will require ALL OF THIS INFORMATION to attend this tour, including: confirming your time zone difference, how access to Zoom works, how and when you’ll receive your link to access the tour and the essential part you’ll play in actually being there. Admission to the Virtual Tour will close once the tour officially begins, and tickets are non-refundable or transferable, so please don’t skip reading our guidelines as you may miss the tour if you do.